Continuing the discussion from A new underemployed talkgroup has appeared!:
When I look at the word “meaning”… well, it’s hard to even discuss that, philosophically. But I want to be practical, and lay out what it means for me, and let others join in so we find out what each person needs.
For me meaningful work would:
- pay well enough that I am not dropping behind; most jobs, when all metrics are accounted for, do not pay enough
- respectful of my person; will not ask unspoken expenditures on my body, or my life
- not be “busy work”; I automate systems, I’m not good at busy work
- have integrity; I prefer working with government agencies, academic institutions, and community-based orgs because they are aligned with my personal values, I don’t want to sell commercial waste for the rich
- remote or within walking distance (which is larger for me than one would expect!); driving is an unhealthy activity for me, and after years of compromised connectivity my home network connection is finally stable
- not necessarily be technology-based; I’m partial to working with a Parks department, or other ways to support my community
I’ll update this reply as I bump up against other barriers.