talkgroup

Virtuoso Plus bread machine wear and tear log

In April of 2021 we got a Virtuoso Plus bread machine. It’s super cool! And I’d like to document how this thing wears out over time, so I may inform myself and others on the best decisions regarding it’s operation.

In May, 2021 the lining of the bread pan began peeling on a rivet on the inside. It took quite a while to contact anyone, due in part to CVOID-19 and in part to the horrible user interface on Zojirushi’s website.

In June I was finally able to load the website to submit the following message:

We bought a Virtuoso Plus breakmaker in April, receipt attached. It’s been working fine, except we recently noticed the coating on the inside of the oven dish is coming off on one of the rivets on the side, where the bread cooks. Image also attached.

We believe that requires the oven part be replaced. Please advise on next steps. Thanks.

Five days later I got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Zojirushi America.

Overtime depending on the usage of the bread machine, the baking pan and/or kneading blades will eventually acquire wear and would need to be replaced.

The non-stick coating wearing on the baking pan and kneading blade is considered normal. The nonstick coating may eventually discolor and/or peel off. This will not affect its performance or sanitary properties, and is harmless to your health. Nicks and peeling do not affect the functioning of the bread maker.

All of our baking pans are manufactured with a nonstick coating made of PTFE. It is a fluoropolymer, a material commonly used for non-stick coating in cookware for conventional kitchen use. PTFE, a fluoropolymer, has been the subject of extensive laboratory testing to examine its safety and durability. The results of this testing has been reviewed by such regulatory agencies as the FDA which has concluded that fluoropolymer non-stick coatings for cookware are safe for conventional kitchen use.

Even in the unlikely event that a person accidentally ingested a flake of non-stick coating, the coating is non-toxic and would pass through the body without being absorbed.

If the product ever does exceed the recommended temperature the product will pose more immediate dangers than just having the non-stick coating deteriorate. We do not recommend using a temperature for our non-stick products that exceeds 500F.

Since this temperature would exceed the recommended temperature of normal pan frying or roasting, this temperature would most probably never be reached with any of our products. Only if the non-stick cookware is accidentally heated above 660F, far above what water boiling preparation calls for, would the non-stick coating begin to deteriorate.

But far before the temperature reaches this point, there would be more immediate dangers to deal with such as extensive smoke and burning.

The non-stick coating wearing on the baking pan and kneading blade is considered normal. The nonstick coating may eventually discolor or wear off.

All materials used in our products have been deemed safe by the FDA. As we mentioned earlier, no toxicological risks have been found in the materials of our products and you can safely continue to use the kneading blades, should you wish.

Nuts and knives used to pull bread out of the baking pan may cause scratches. You can continue to keep using the baking pan. This is expected of the baking pan, as it is a wearable part. This is not considered a manufacturing defect.

The baking pan is not covered under the 1 year limited warranty but please provide the following information to be provided to the Warranty Department for review:

1. Phone Number

2. Full Shipping Address

3. Photo of the silver sticker with lot number

4. Picture of the inside of the pan and heating element

Wishing you a wonderful day.

I looked up PTFE and what they say appears correct, if not a little copy-and-pasted. Fortunately, today that bit of pan lining has not rubbed off more, it remains approximately the same as the initial peeling.

1 Like