Strategic Snikket

talkgroup.xyz is a communications domain. In my daily life I have need of a tool that allows me to communicate my ideas and queries to others, and talkgroup.xyz is a tooling domain for that purpose.

In v1 we used a single Discourse instance attached to a CDN for media storage and a mailing service for email interactions. It works because talkgroup is a tool, not a commercial enterprise. However, the configuration of v1 slipped from alignment with the ongoing needs of the talkgroup tool, so now we are here on v2, which currently consists of:

• Discourse for public discussion, subscription, and notification
  • CDN storage for media
  • Mailing service for email interaction
  • Snikket instance for private, federated messaging

I have an account on the Snikket instance, currently the only one: xmpp:maiki@chat.v2.talkgroup.xyz.

I also have a couple other chat servers: mage.party and oak.party.

I’m considering shutting down all the chat servers except chat.v2.talkgroup.xyz. I don’t have the capacity to juggle multiple chat servers, let along accounts. And while the “v2” in the address indicates the “ephemeral” nature of the domain (we will eventually deprecate it), that’s fine. The chat server is meant to be that way, and this creates a good system for teaching people how to use a “chat server”: use technologies that allow you to easily spin up instances and move between them. And in case you hadn’t noticed, that’s what the Snikket project does!

This topic exists to kinda explain what’s happening, as well as next steps for everyone I’m about to kick off those other servers (all… six of you!). I haven’t worked out all the details, but I had this much ready, so here it is to inform ya. :slight_smile:

Now that I’ve explained a bit about XEP-0283: Moved, let’s return to the strategy.

When we are talking about setting up a chat server, we’re talking about one or more humans vying for the limited attention any given person they know gives to using technology. Or, it’s hard getting people to switch chat services.

For a long time I tried to be one of those people that gets their friends and family on to better services and devices. I’m done, that activity was holding me back. It’s seriously a lot of work and energy.

Instead, I’m going to produce those folks. Eventually I’ll formalize some kind of course or training materials, but for now I’m still setting up infrastructure.

I don’t expect most people I meet to know about talkgroup, but it is my full intention that each person using talkgroup be able to confidently lay out a plan for switching their loved ones to better technology.

For personal and private communications, Snikket fits as a tool:

• Clients and server provided
  • Push support (aka punching a hole through the anti-competitiveness wall Google and Apple built into their mobile device platforms)
  • End to end encryption
  • Data portability

I will be spending my time training talkgroup, and improving on the standards and projects as I may.

Which role shall you play? :slight_smile: