talkgroup

neo(vi)m, one dream at a time

vi is a text editor, and possibly a cult.

Once I wanted to learn taskwarrior and I created a topic to track my challenges (Learning Taskwarrior, one dream at a time - Science and Technology - talkgroup) and it helped me process my thoughts; I’m not sure where I got the “one dream at a time” thing from, except when learning a new topic deeply, I suppose I tend to think about it at night, like a review of the topic in my head…

Anyhow, despite having gotten a powerful new laptop, part of my personal computing is using precise tools, and vi is such a tool for me. I’ve yet to incorporate editor configurations into my personal computing cloud, so that will be a lot of what this topic is about.

A post was split to a new topic: Previously, while discussing vim…

I’m going to try going with neovim again. I tried installing from the PureOS repos, but it is still on 4.4, whereas I want the recent 5.0 release. I tried installing from Flatpak, but it uses a non-standard location for config, as well as a weird way to launch from the terminal, so I removed that. Ultimately I am making it portable, like hugo and fossil:

curl -LO https://github.com/neovim/neovim/releases/latest/download/nvim.appimage
chmod u+x nvim.appimage
mv nvim.appimage ~/.local/bin/nvim

And I get:

maiki@deck:~$ nvim --version
NVIM v0.5.1
Build type: RelWithDebInfo
LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3
Compilation: /usr/bin/gcc-11 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 -DNVIM_TS_HAS_SET_MATCH_LIMIT -O2 -g -Og -g -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -std=gnu99 -Wshadow -Wconversion -Wmissing-prototypes -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wvla -fstack-protector-strong -fno-common -fdiagnostics-color=always -DINCLUDE_GENERATED_DECLARATIONS -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNVIM_MSGPACK_HAS_FLOAT32 -DNVIM_UNIBI_HAS_VAR_FROM -DMIN_LOG_LEVEL=3 -I/home/runner/work/neovim/neovim/build/config -I/home/runner/work/neovim/neovim/src -I/home/runner/work/neovim/neovim/.deps/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/home/runner/work/neovim/neovim/build/src/nvim/auto -I/home/runner/work/neovim/neovim/build/include
Compiled by runner@fv-az87-829

Features: +acl +iconv +tui
See ":help feature-compile"

system vimrc file: "$VIM/sysinit.vim"
  fall-back for $VIM: "
/home/runner/work/neovim/neovim/build/nvim.AppDir/usr/share/nvim"

Run :checkhealth for more info

So… in the past I’ve found one or 17 tutorials/config files online, and I’d smash them together into something that I could definitely use, but that knowledge wasn’t persistent enough to withstand a transition to a new system.

Now I’m at the point to decide which editor I will carry into my personal computing, so that means, “forget the scaffold, we’re building a foundation here!”, which surely is more prudent than it sounds, architecturally…

Anyhow, I’ve got neovim installed, so it’s time to explore, in two phases:

1. Defaults and overrides
  2. Plugins/addons/weird stuff that doesn’t fit into ~/.config/nvim/init.vim