talkgroup

Got a Nintendo eShop refund for Burnout Paradise

I was just looking up how long I’ve been trying to play Burnout Paradise and found my entry from 2008 (Trouble in Burnout Paradise - Gaming - talkgroup):

Today I picked up a copy of Burnout Paradise. I am a huge fan of this franchise, as it awards me for doing what I do in every other racing game: cause huge and spectacular pile-ups/explosions.

I waited until after midnight to pop it in and play, I needed a nap. When I finally put the disc in nothing happened. The game icon didn’t appear on the XMB. Bummed, I put Soul Calibur IV back in. No show.

Turning to the internets I found that this is a common problem. Sucks.

:rofl:

That definitely makes this funnier.

Okay, so I really enjoyed the limited amount of Burnout Paradise that I played on my PS3, before the device itself died on my multiple times. The PS3 is the last non-portable game console device I purchased, it being obvious that entire market is not for me.

So seeing it Remastered on the Switch made me happy, I would get to cause slow motion crashes in my hands! Amazing! And it was still multiplayer! I even did my due diligence and checked! I went to the game page (Burnout™ Paradise Remastered for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details) and scrolled down:

I even scrolled down further, to ensure it meant using my Nintendo Switch Online membership:

It’s hard to see, huh? Well, it says:

Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online

Well, it turns out I had missed an important piece of information presented just below where I had scrolled. Here’s the whole page:

While being a very tiny statement on the game’s information page, it has this crucial fact:

ACCEPTANCE OF EA USER AGREEMENT (terms.ea.com) & PRIVACY & COOKIE POLICY (privacy.ea.com) REQUIRED TO PLAY. INTERNET CONNECTION, EA ACCOUNT & APPLICABLE PLATFORM ACCOUNT MAY BE REQUIRED TO ACCESS ONLINE FEATURES. AGE RESTRICTIONS APPLY, SEE http://o.ea.com/ea/child-access & APPLICABLE PLATFORM ACCOUNT FOR DETAILS.

I did not accept the user agreement when presented (I was shocked and amused, EA is like a cereal mascot, always almost getting my PII, silly “game publisher”), and it made the game unplayable. As in, when the game started I had to watch a circle spin as the game tried to negotiate some kind of non-consenting access to their servers before I got to the game menu.

That’s kinda wild, ne? I was still gonna play it offline, as a single player, but I couldn’t even do that. So I was like, I’ve got this, I’ll just get a refund! Everything you read about Nintendo’s policy is: No refunds! But they of course do a case-by-case basis, and so I contacted support in a chatbox, explained I understood the idea behind their refund policy and this is merely a case of a game not working in any capacity, so please start a case for it.

That was yesterday afternoon and this morning I already had the reply and refund:

Response (08/20/2021 06:43 PM)
Hello,

In regard to the recent issue you reported to Nintendo, I’m emailing you to let you know that we’ve processed a refund for your digital purchase by adding $29.92 to your account. You should see the funds available the next time you log in with your Nintendo eShop account.

We consider this matter resolved and have closed the incident. If you have any additional questions, please contact us via our online webform ( https://support.nintendo.com/contactus ).

See EA, see how a “game publisher” that also has a disturbing amount of both vertical and horizontal control over their market can act? I swear, if Big N stopped suing people and allowed non-princess women in their video games we’d shiny!

Also, don’t buy Burnout Paradise @maiki from 13+ years from now. You seriously know better at this point!

1 Like

I had the thought:

Ew, I’ll be in my 50s! I don’t want to still be doing…

Oh gawd, I’m doing this in my 40s! Da fcuk?!