Daily log, maiki

Our road trip was successful! As in we found a place and area we enjoy and would like to live, and we filled out an application and were as charming as we could be.

Now, we wait. If we don’t hear back from them by the 10th… we didn’t get it.

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I responded and the head of the urgent care group or something called me this morning to figure out what happened. Even though I’ve described where I was in the building each time, it wasn’t until this morning the person realized I never made it past the “screener”. They had presumed I had been turned away from a doctor…

And then the person tried to diagnose me over the phone! I spent the last five minutes explaining to them I would not be discussing my health with an administrator calling me about a complaint from my former medical provider. They continued to ask me personal questions about my health, until I told them I did not believe they were qualified to ask questions about my health and I would not be discussing anything not relevant to the incident.

That is the last phone call I take with anyone from that company; they may email me so we have a record of their interactions.

4 posts were split to a new topic: California is heating up

Yesterday we went to Roberts Regional Park (Roberts Regional Recreation Area). There is a swimming pool there, and @susan and Clover swam while I wandered from vista point to vista point, shading in the trees… :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve been asked to upload our lease to the housing portal, to complete the process. Unfortunately, I can’t find a place to upload the files, so I’ve had to email them for instructions…

:grimacing:

I received the $10 refund, but nothing else, such as a shipping tracking number. We’re now a week into August and the last I heard from them was June. I emailed a couple days ago asking for an update, but not response yet. Hope everything is okay over there.

2 Likes

Yesterday we returned to Roberts Regional Park. @susan and Clover swam while I hiked around the area. And there is so much more area than I thought! Roberts Ridge trail connects to several other trails that leave the area, and once I had to backtrack uphill for about a quarter of a mile to avoid a gaggle of hikers coming the other way (small trail, like 20 people… I just didn’t feel like engaging).

The quick uphill hike had the expected results, and I was wiped the rest of the day. Fortunately I got to spend the afternoon relaxing under redwoods, feeling the “fog belt” breeze. :slight_smile:

Something I discovered: Chabot Space Center is accessible from Roberts Park, by trail. And the Redwood Bowmen are just behind it. I’ve finally filled in the map in my head. Also, I’m gonna take an archery class in Sept.! :bow_and_arrow:

Finally, I was able to fill in details for OSM via the StreetComplete app. That’s amazing to me! I’m confirming and adding details, from the trails!

The furthest down a trail I went during this hike was: geo:37.81981377,-122.17291604. I use Snikket to share my location with my peeps as I’m going, it’s pretty neat! :world_map:

1 Like

Yesterday we took a day trip down Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz. Highlights were seeing sea lions at the wharf (geo:36.95733984,-122.0172856), and visiting Natural Bridges park.

I documented it with hypermedia, and will update this post when I track it all down. :slight_smile:

Driving back was wild, as about 10 or so miles of Hwy 1 has no lines or lights, due to recent construction. I was barely able to enjoy the smooth ride as I figured out where to be on the road (pro tip: not in front of oncoming traffic!).

1 Like

Back at Roberts Park today!

Last time we were here I made some major headway into a paper backlog I had accumulated. Today I’m wandering to parts of the park I hadn’t yet, while also finding a spot in the shade that also have network connectivity. (Hint: it’s near the south side of Roberts Park, nearer to the row of houses down the hill.)

I should start a wiki entry for Roberts Park in #world

1 Like

Today we met with our educational coordinator, which included getting lots of materials, including some really neat history curriculum I’m excited to share. :slight_smile:

In other news, today I talked to @susan and our options and I’ve decided to go back to the same dentist and start a work scan and cleaning, to being what will likely be a series of operations, including having my wisdom teeth removed.

I’m afraid, and hate it. I feel fear, no idea where it comes from. My memory works against me, in this regard. I’m trying to approach it rationally, but fear’s secret weapon is it neutralizes ones rationale. Hence needing Susan to help me navigate this process. I have already noticed myself making questionable calls concerning my health, so what I am missing? I don’t want to self-delude, I want to fight. I want to fight fear. I’m so angry about it, I’m stepping out of my reality for reinforcements (I suppose this is what is referred to as “asking for help”…?).

I’m hopeful homeschooling will provides plenty of distractions during the various recoveries in my future…

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Let’s see, what happened today…

I made a dentist appointment for next week, and a doctor appointment for next month, thanks to @susan’s help. Scary stuff.

Oh yeah, we received confirmation our “rent relief” went through. We have no rent debt.

I’m tired. It’s a tiring year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A former client emailed me just now asking for a recommendation for someone to maintain their WordPress site. I deleted the message. This client empowered another one of their contractors to publicly blame me for a failed project I had nothing to do with, and failed to ever address that toxic person’s activities; I dropped them as a client, and would never recommend anyone work with them again.

1 Like

Yesterday we went to Black Diamond Mines!

@susan signed us up for a mine tour of the Hazel Atlas mine, which was used after the coal mining era to extract sand, which was prepared in nearby Pittsburgh (California), and then shipped by rail to Oakland to be turned into glass. Wow!

Unfortunately, a piece of sandstone was found that had fallen from the ceiling, so miners had it closed to the public and our tour was canceled. However! We still got to go to the visitor center, which is just wild!

Okay, there was a person named Greathouse, it was they surname. They bought and owned the sand mine, and lend their name to the “Greathouse Room”, just a huge cavern dug out of the sandstone relatively near the surface, a kind of tools and rest space built by the miners. That’s the visitor center, a big human cave!

We had never driven to Antioch before, and it isn’t exactly fun, but it isn’t horrible, and we missed an exit and took Hwy 4 all the way to I-80, and most of the 4 is very pretty, undeveloped hills. Anyhow, we plan on visiting that park again, so many interesting things there! And Clover is already doing pre-interviews for working there, even letting their bonsai garden volunteer work be known… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I sent a message to support@puri.sm. Hopefully they can give me an update. :slight_smile:

Reply:

I am sorry for this, your order should have been shipped weeks ago. But
it has not.

I will contact my colleagues to try to understand what went wrong, and
ask to ship your order as fast as possible.

So that means I’ll might get it soon. I’m excited, but can’t muster an exclamation at the moment.

1 Like

Email today:

We wanted to let you know that your order (#Purism_4273099158) will be shipped via FedEx, FedEx Ground® on 8/26/2021.

:cool:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Flax Art, notebooks, pens

Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 13-35-51 Detailed Tracking

Today I’m refreshing the tracking page to know when to take a chilled bottle of wine into our apartments lobby to await the delivery person. The chilled wine is for the hot day and anxiety related to this transaction; I doubt my own ability to seduce with White Zinfandel… and the laptop is legit mine!

Ugh! It’s like children’s grape juice spoiled and they marketed it as adult grape juice! Why is it sweet?!

Yesterday the laptop did not arrive, and this morning at 10AM I check and the tracking page said end of day Monday (tomorrow). So I went to the redwoods/pool with my family. I get set up there, hike around a bit, and was going to update this log with a screenshot when I see it says…

Long story short, despite this being a laptop that required a signature, the delivery person signed for it and left it outside my apartment building on the sidewalk…

FedEx has done this every time they come to my apartment, I think their model is horrible, and I wouldn’t personally ship anything using that service (or any other, unfortunately. Folks, deliveries don’t work like they used to).

Anyhow, new laptop is running PureOS, a distro using Gnome, and I’m updating it currently. Afterward I’ll see if my personal cloud is as easy to setup as I remember… :thinking:

Today our family has been very busy, having driven to appointments first thing in the morning and having a solid block of homeschooling and errands since.

Today I’ve also been setting up this new laptop, which I’ve designated deck. Eventually I’ll have the device itself documented (`deck`, Librem 14 laptop), and will check out the default system that is PureOS (Checking out PureOS and Librem 14). And I will of course log the process (Setting up a new laptop) in the hope that it gets easier and perhaps even script-able.

:thinking: