Battle of the Books 4th-6th List, 2021-2022

There is a “battle of the books”, where Clover may read some amount of these by April or so. It was difficult for us to obtain this list (folks like to share documents in ways that are mysterious), so here are the books:

Author Title
Applegate, Katherine Crenshaw
Avi The Secret School
Bulla, Clyde Robert The Sword in the Tree
Clements, Andrew No Talking
DiCamillo, Kate The Tale of Despereaux
George, Jessica Day Tuesdays at the Castle
Gutman, Dan Honus and Me: A Baseball Card Adventure
Haddix, Margaret Peterson Running Out of Time
Harlow, Joan Hiatt Midnight Rider
Howe, Deborah Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale Mystery
Kellogg, Steven Paul Bunyan
Kline, Christina Baker Orphan Train Girl(Young Readers Edition)
Korman, Gordan Slacker
Lewis, C.S. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Lewis, Gill Wild Wings
McMullan, Kate The Story of Harriet Tubman
Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds Shiloh
Park, Linda Sue The Kite Fighters
Rodkey, Geoff We’re Not From Here
Sachar, Louis Sideways Stories from Wayside School
Shahan, Sherry Frozen Stiff
Stewart, Trenton The Mysterious Benedict Society
Urban, Linda A Crooked Kind of Perfect
Watson, Renee Ways to Make Sunshine
Weeks, Sarah Save Me a Seat
Wise, William Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveler
Woods, Brenda Saint Louis Armstrong Beach
Yang, Gene Luen Secret Coders(Secret Coders 1)
1 Like

@susanmagnolia, which books did you get from the list? :slight_smile:

1 Like

We began with Bunnicula and it was well received though Clover had doubts at the beginning. She expressed interest in reading subsequent Bunnicula books as well. The next book we will read is Sideways Stories from Wayside School.

Just found out all the Battle of the Books aspects will be held on Zoom so we will not participate, other than reading.

Yeah, we don’t have a reliable enough connection to do video chat where we live, so that’s difficulty zero for us, it just prohibits all live video activities.

However, beyond that, we also want to avoid Zoom, the specific video service.

And beyond that, the format is a quiz, where questions are asked about aspects of random books from the list, and kids on the video conference are supposed to yell out their answers… uh, no thanks. I believe hell is personal, and looks roughly like how that video conference would play out!

2 Likes

I lived through that this last month; that is tough.

2 Likes

I know lack of video access is tough for different reasons for everyone.

Some folks rely on video to keep in touch with groups of people that bring deep meaning to them. I encourage this kind of video use.

Other folks don’t know how to pivot (not their fault!) during a pandemic, and now everything is a Zoom call and it makes no sense to me.

OMG, I just had a real thought response to what I wrote, and here it is: I thought, “Well, maybe I just so far ahead of everyone; I’ve been working remotely for all time.”

And maybe that’s it! Because I also had a video chat phase. And it was meh. Not because of the tech, it was fine; any amount of video chatting is very cool. It was because talking to people face to face isn’t my mode of operation. I work on complex problems, and bond with people deeply one on one. That’s me.

But it means that folks like me, who have a lot to offer in feedback and serendipitous interaction, are excluded from this sudden shift into Zoom-land. Either because one is resourceless or eccentric (check and check), we’ve defined a new digital definition of “hermit”.

Also, what happened to having kids read books they wanted, and letting them befriend children’s librarians, whose entire job seems to be split between instilling a lifelong love of reading and recommending the best books… (this started as a question and ran into praise for a librarian sub-type, or typical maiki-sentence)? Everything’s a battle these days. This book’s a battle! That Zoom’s a battle! Let’s all battle six feet apart!

I used to get cool book marks for reading books. I loved those, but hey, I’m a digital hermit, don’t listen to me.

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like